Sex Dating Casual Friends 32 Bangor Sex Dating Casual Friends 32 Bangor Register Login Contact Us

Single women wanting sex in Catlin Illinois

Online: Yesterday


I'm seeking for boys who are very turned on by a girl.

Relationship Status:Newlyweds
Seeking:I Wanting Cock
Hair:Blond naturally
Relation Type:420 Friendly Looking For Some Tight Pussy. Latina Or Asian +

Single women wanting sex in Catlin Illinois

Olympia Women Eating Olympia Woman Pussy On Free Porn

Seeking Lonely Fairfax VT womans m4w Noticed adds from Single women wanting sex in Catlin Illinois in Fairfax Singlw seeking fun, maybe I can help. Everybody make happy, make everybody happy, be a comedian. Or at least I think you are.

HAPPY SATURDAY. I've been there, done that.


Kinda skinny I'm a Scorpio, passion for fashion! I can be cute Body: Large but shapely I'm a Virgo, healthcare Friends first. Hang out, go out, see where things go. Then maybe, just maybe, I'll be lucky enough to find "the one".

I'm a simple girl with simple pleasures. I have a good job and I pay my own bills. Just looking for love, not money. Kinda big I'm a Aquarius, Safety S. Looking for the nice guy that everyone says finishes last. Very good looks Body: My body is the boM!

Smokin' Hot I'm a Taurus Soo. I'm a Sagittarius, Boss I am awesome! You cannot even imagine! Sensually hot I'm a Sagittarius, laundry aide im ready to fall in love , is that man out there for me??? Curvy, baby, I'm curvy! Search other cities for hot women looking for sex and dating: If you are searching for women seeking men and looking to hookup in Danville, sign up today. BoM is unlike any other Danville date site in that it provides a fun environment online and on your mobile phone.

If you want to start meeting adults for sex dating or to find love in your area, sign up on BoM today! I'm a Aries Looking to hook up In Danville. Proportionate I'm a Aries no questions lol In Danville.

KMR , Woman, 22 Looks: Large but shapely I'm a Pisces Fun caring kind person, who wants to laugh and live one day at a time In Danville.


Uncle Dale's Old Mormon Articles: Early Ohio

This wildly ambitious documentary follows four men who work in isolation at remote scientific and industrial sites around the world. Like monks, they carry out their daily tasks in silence and solitude, creating products soon to enter the capitalist cycle of production, consumption, and destruction.

Sunday, June 3, 3: Best friends and aspiring restaurateurs Manolo Andrea Carpenzano and Mirko Matteo Olivetti kill a pedestrian in a car accident, kicking off a series of events that enmesh them with the local crime syndicate and push their mutual allegiance to the breaking point. Saturday, June 2, 1: He dreams she will hit it big as a pop singer, but when Sharon loses interest in pursuing this potentially lucrative profession, tensions build between the two.

Friday, June 1, 4: In this inventive work of cinematic biography, eight actresses play Cortese at various stages of her career, amidst a kaleidoscopic of film clips and archival footage. In a work that is by turns glamorous, celebratory, and soberly confessional, Cortese often addresses the viewer directly, yielding a direct and engaging portrait of an actress whose offscreen complexity often exceeded the roles she memorably incarnated.

Sunday, June 3, 1: After Roman priest Don Giuseppe Mimmo Borrelli begins developing an attraction to an employee of the refugee center where he works, he requests a transfer, settling just north of Naples.

There, he finds himself in conflict with the Camorra when he tries to intervene in the local industrial-waste crisis. Working with a mix of professionals and non-actors, Marra renders a scrappy, moving drama about the antagonism between religious belief and the modern world.

Sunday, June 3, 8: While taking a cigarette break on a rooftop in Rome, a young baker Giacomo Ferrara notices a curious fowl plummeting from the sky. He crosses from one rooftop to the next to get a closer look, and what he discovers is the beginning of a journey down an urban rabbit hole of incredible situations and bizarre characters including one played by a delightfully off-kilter Lou Castel. Friday, June 1, 6: Jasmine Trinca plays the ironically named Fortunata, a young mother and hairdresser living in Rome whose ambitions are constantly thwarted by inept, needy friends and family baggage.

Awaiting a divorce from her soon-to-be-ex-husband and dealing with the resultant issues her 8-year-old daughter has developed, Fortunata begins taking her daughter to a handsome child therapist Stefano Accorsi , with whom she has immediate chemistry.

Tuesday, June 5, 6: Saturday, June 2, 3: A woman courageously tries to break the silence in a culture of complicity surrounding sexual harassment in this all-too-timely film from Open Roads veteran Marco Tullio Giordana. Nina Cristiana Capotondi is a single mother who takes a job at a home for the elderly in Lombardy, where the inappropriate verbal treatment of her new manager Bebo Storti turns into outright assault.

Ultimately, Nina is one of the most multidimensional and inspiring protagonists in recent Italian cinema. Saturday, June 2, 8: They hit it off immediately, though their romance is curtailed when Andrea later stands her up. So begins a gripping metaphysical murder mystery, in which Naples becomes a shadowy, mysterious labyrinth of desire and memory. Monday, June 4, 8: The story of a group of Italians in Tuscany fleeing the Nazis, who intend to bomb their small town before it can be liberated by the Americans, is an enthralling chronicle of everyday people refusing to sit back and wait for history to redeem them.

Thursday, May 31, 3: An enigmatic, nameless man Valerio Mastandrea sits in the corner of a bar, receiving visitor after visitor. They tell him of their profoundest wishes and desires, and he assures them they can have exactly what they want. Italian with English subtitles. Friday, June 1, 8: Wednesday, June 6, 2: Seventeen-year-old Agnese Barbora Bobulova plans to take a vow of chastity to appease her intensely devout mother, but then she encounters year-old parking lot attendant Stefano Simone Liberati while shoplifting a cell phone.

Stefano represents for Agnese an alternative way of being in the world beyond the strictures of the church, from which she feels increasingly alienated. Friday, June 1, 2: Monday, June 4, 6: Few filmmakers have better embodied Italian cinema over the past 50 years than the Taviani brothers.

Their latest and final film together Vittorio died in April is an elegant tale of young love caught in the whirlwind of war, loosely adapted from a book by Beppe Fenoglio. Their friendship is put to the ultimate test against a backdrop of violent struggle after the two men are swept up in the anti-fascist movement. Saturday, June 2, 6: Wednesday, June 6, 6: Francesca Comencini adapts her own novel for this intelligent, intensely felt romantic comedy.

Academics Claudia Lucia Mascino and Flavio Thomas Trabacchi have been a couple for seven years, but their physically and intellectually passionate relationship seems to have reached an impasse, and neither of them understands why.

This funny, charming movie reveals the inner work we must do in order to move on with our lives. The Film Society of Lincoln Center is devoted to supporting the art and elevating the craft of cinema. The only branch of the world-renowned arts complex, Lincoln Center shines a light on the everlasting yet evolving importance of the moving image. This nonprofit organization was founded in to celebrate American and international films.

Cuomo and the New York State Legislature. In collaboration with the Italian Ministry for the Foreign Affairs, restorations and new prints are added every year. It is also involved with the direct organization of numerous Film Festival around the world: The journey of pianist, keyboardist and singer Luca Chiellini started in the countryside of Tuscany, Italy, where he was born and grew up.

After playing music all his life and at the same time pursuing a career in the pharmacy business, he left Italy and the medical field with a one-way ticket to Chicago and he found fortune in America playing with the top names in the Blues. Luca Chiellini, who brings the Italian tradition with him in his music and his touring, has also his own band and performs internationally as a solo artist on piano and vocals.

You can catch Luca Chiellini playing on tour with Toronzo Cannon and with his own project in the Chicago area and all over the world. Milan is the home of the anti-immigrant, anti-Europe, and nationalist Lega Nord political party led by Matteo Salvini. As one racialized slogan put it: Risotto yes, couscous no.

It is a view that holds that southern Italians are mentally slow and morally corrupt; in short, the south has been a drain on the more advanced and governable north and that the latter would be better off without the former.

Is this animosity evident while briefly visiting this northern capital, I wondered? I found that things do change -- and not necessarily for the better. At the start of my visit the nation had no government and by the end of it, a new coalition government was formed by Salvini and his Lega Nord party and by the young populist Luigi Di Maio and his 5-Star Movement.

For both of these leaders and their constituents, the scapegoat has changed from southern Italians to northern Africans. Will such a change be good for those Italians living south of Rome? For this kind of politics has fear and division as its roots. The person proposed to be minister of justice, Guilia Bongiorno, came from even farther south — Palermo, Sicily.

These would-be leaders also oppose the trans-national Euro-zone. Some of them want to stop a tunnel project that would connect Italy and France. Some seem to shout - keep the French out. Keep the Tunisians out. Italy is for the Italians which for the moment includes those from Avellino, Foggia, and Palermo. I was a tourist. A scholarly tourist, but a tourist nonetheless. Thus, the shifts of governments and citing of articles in the Italian constitution did not directly touch me; though fascinating, I found the maneuvering.

On the streets of Milan everyone seemed friendly, affluent, and stylish. One would not guess from the historic center of Milan that the nation nears financial crisis. Everyone strolls about with shopping bags brimming with purchases. In central Milan I saw few panhandlers. Is this the work of a vigilant Carabinieri? Heavily armed security seem ubiquitous although no one seems disturbed by their presence; rather, perhaps they are assured.

Farther out from the center I saw young people who seemed to be homeless or jobless migrants — or could this impression have been the result of a prejudicial lens of my own? Near my hotel I saw one line of graffiti and only this one line that read: The small Risorgimento Museum on the picturesque Via Borgonuovo emphasizes the central role Milan had in the unification of Italy.

For example, the museum extensively describes the Five Days revolt against Austrian rulers in March The south appears neither criticized nor slighted here. The reputation of the Italian fiction writer Giovanni Verga rests on the work he set in his native Sicily.

But Verga lived much of his life in Milan and often set his writing in this bustling northern capital. At least they do so for now, but perhaps not for much longer. Cases of demonic possession are on the rise. The same goes for Spain and many countries in Latin America. More people are coming forward with claims that the devil or demons are taking over their bodies.

The demand for Catholic intervention is high. So much so that the Vatican convenes a week long course each year to train priests to identify and cure demonic possessions. This workshop was first offered in and since then the number of priests in attendance have doubled to The model is Father Gabriele Amorth.

He was a pioneer in the field of exorcism and a champion fighter against the devil. Father Amorth was the official exorcist of the diocese of Rome from until his death in As the foremost expert on demonic possession, he was often newsworthy. He said whole groups, even countries could be possessed. Never mind the headlines, Father Amorth was no charlatan. The practice of exorcism has its rules and regulations.

In , he along with five other priests founded the International Association of Exorcists. The organization based in Rome retains a mission to review cases of demonic possession and share information on how best to combat the devil. A set of principles remain in place. An exorcism is the last resort. Only when a person is uncured after examination and treatment by licensed physicians and psychologists can she be seen by an exorcist. Often, it was Father Amorth who was called upon to expel demonic spirits.

Before he died in , he claimed to have performed over , exorcisms. The film recounts the work of Father Amorth and shows the first ever authorized account of him performing an exorcism. The film comes to us from the man who is rightly credited, along with William Peter Blatty, for advancing the concept of demonic possession throughout the world. He is a lead member of a generation of directors that came of age in the s such as Martin Scorsese, Francis Ford Coppola and Steven Spielberg.

Friedkin followed that success with another. It came with tight frames, handheld shots and, as always, a fast pace. The film was bold and provocative but not a hit. That is until now…. He gives us a riveting documentary for a new generation to savor his unique style.

It is all over again. The film is horrifying, disturbing and controversial. The belief in God is confronted head-on. It is a stark and mesmerizing exploration of terror and faith. The viewer is not the same after seeing this film.

Friedkin said that he is at his best when he approaches a film as a journalist. He shows us the action. He conveys the subjects as they are. We are left to decide. Do we believe or not? The film came about by chance and circumstance.

Friedkin had been directing opera in Italy in recent years and was given the Puccini Prize in Lucca. He was enticed by the beautiful walled city and home of Giacomo Puccini. From there, he visited the Leaning Tower of Pisa. Italy had cast her spell. He wanted to see more. He thought his friend, Andrea Monda, a religious scholar, could get him in to meet Pope Francis, but that was not possible. The pope was on travel. Was there anyone else he wanted to meet?

Father Amorth, he said. And if possible, could he observe an exorcism. And if possible, could he film it. This was a first. Exorcisms are intensely private. Only family of the person possessed and selected priests can attend.

Father Amorth, however, knew Friedkin from his work in cinema. As a teenager, he became a partisan fighter when Mussolini returned from exile and established the Salo Republic. Gabriele fought beside socialists, communists, and anarchists. Yet, he came out of the conflict with the hope of stabilizing Italy. In , he was ordained a priest and joined the Society of Saint Paul, a religious institute founded by Father James Alberione in Alba, with a goal of spreading the Gospel through modern communication.

In , he began an apprenticeship in exorcism under Father Candido Amantini. After Father Amantini died in , Father Amorth became the official exorcist of the diocese of Rome. It is the first day of May and his birthday. Old and frail, the cleric is set to face his arch enemy Lucifer. The subject for dispossession is an Italian woman in her early 40s who goes by the name Cristina. She is an architect. She has a boyfriend. Yet, she claims the devil is inside her. He pushes her to do things against her will.

We see her sitting on a chair covered in a red sheet. Her family is there with her. She is held down by several men. Father Amorth initiates the Roman Ritual of He holds the crucifix. He calls for the intercession of saints. He leads the participants in prayer.

Friedkin was the lone filmmaker in the room. He records a fight on a simple handheld video camera. It is the devil versus Father Amorth. It is an evil parasite against the power of Christ. Cristina struggles to be released. She tries to overpower the men holding her down. She then screams in anger. He visits psychiatrists at Columbia University in New York. The film sets up the never-ending debate between the Old World and New. Ideas and beliefs collide. UCLA surgeons surmise a malfunction in the temporal lobe.

However, they are open to other causes and treatments outside the practice of medicine. There soon appears on screen a digital map of the brain. Demonic possession might be a delusion resulting from a tumor.

The team of psychiatrists at Columbia University are more confident in their diagnosis. Although open to other causes and effects, the rituals of faith may have overwhelmed Cristina. The intercession of saints. The signs of the cross. The use of Holy Water. Maybe she has fallen prey to group think and the pressures of mysticism. He is smart, calm and articulate.

He begins with equivocation about demonic possession and the need for exorcism. Yet, as the interview progresses, he makes a starling revelation. He admits to being unqualified to perform an exorcism. He does not have the acumen to take on the devil.

He lacks the level of spirituality as endowed by Father Amorth. The raw close ups. The tight shots and intimate framing. The unrehearsed comments by experts. This is the kind of documentary we we grew up on. He remains a master of confrontation. He holds nothing back. They come armed with Scripture. They come endowed with the Cardinal virtue of fortitude. They come to do battle. In either of them, the devil has met his match.

It was a religious work, they said; a story of faith in the face of evil. They come as either part of the story or as symbolic images to underscore a message of faith. What follows are the churches and historical sites in Italy that make up key scenes in the film. The documentary shows Catholic pilgrims from all over the world who ascend the stairs on their knees in acts of devotion.

These stairs were once inside the palace of Pontius Pilate in Jerusalem. They were removed and transported to Rome in the 4th century at the request of Saint Helena, mother of the Emperor Constantine.

It are these stairs that Jesus Christ climbed to be seen and sentenced to death by Pilate. The subject was a woman who went by the alias Cristina. Friedkin said that Father Amorth was the most holy man he ever met.

Friedkin went there to meet Cristina after Father Amorth died. The setting is the Acropolis of Alatri and its great cyclopean wall. No mortar in the structure binds the stones together. Instead, large limestone blocks were carved according to specific measurements and tilted when stacked. The wall was erected before the time of ancient Rome and stands today after surviving many earthquakes and other destructive phenomena. The location was once the burial chamber for the Hernici tribe and then a temple for the Roman god Saturn.

The church was completed there in the 13th century with a facade added in the 19th century. Inside are relics of Saint Sixtus, one of the earliest popes who served in the first century A. Cristina did not show up to the basilica as originally planned. The grounds once hosted a temple to Venus. The church was built there in the 4th century and was renovated in the 14th century with an added bell tower and an inscription by Pope Boniface IX.

In the film, Friedkin met with Cristina, her boyfriend and her mother inside the church. She was restrained by her boyfriend who demanded the director give up the footage of her exorcism. He refused and the man threatened to kill him. Friedkin immediately left the church, got in his car and made his way quickly back to Rome.

Pictured from top, Sashini Fernando, chief sustainability officer at Tropic Sri Lanka, and Paolo Bray, founder and director of Friend of the Sea; the extraction of eggs from tuna and a lab worker at Tropic Sri Lanka Friend of the Sea FOS is an organization based in Milan, Italy that has devised an international certification scheme for products from sustainable fisheries and aquaculture.

Audits are based on the best up-to-date data and run by accredited independent certification bodies. FOS also supports projects of preservation and protection of the environment and marine habitats. Moreover, it is constantly engaged in awareness campaigns to make more and more people conscious of the importance of consuming only certified sustainable seafood. The initiative aims to improve recruitment rates through assisted reproductive technology, thereby allowing a second generation of yellowfin tuna to return back to the ocean.

In , the Japanese government started a reproduction project of Bluefin tuna to support the increasing demand of sashimi. What differs is that assisted reproductive technology is applied to farming due to geo-morphological constraints, while in the case of Sri Lanka the same technique is conducted out of sea making of FCP SEA a pioneering project. To learn more about Friend of the Sea, log on to their web site at http: It is an extraordinary new documentary film by Marco Proserpio, a tireless Italian filmmaker from Milan.

Graffiti dates back to the time of antiquity. Some of its earliest examples can be seen in Italy today on the walls of buildings in Pompeii or on the walls inside the catacombs of Rome. It usually comes by way of reckless spray paint.

It is an assault upon the walls of public works or commercial buildings. It is usually nothing more than the scrawl of gang identification; a warning sign of embellished fonts, ugly and of no significance to anyone except those engaged in turf warfare. At times, however, graffiti can be art. An artist may actually draw on a wall something definable and with a compelling message.

Such is the artist known as Banksy. He is a fearless and creative graffiti artist. His stenciled black and white works first appeared on walls throughout England. In , Banksy was in Bethlehem, the birthplace of Jesus Christ, which is now part of Palestinian territory and under the watchful eye of the Israeli army and intelligence agencies.

He had been invited there, along with a select group of artists, to paint on the wall that now divides Palestine and Israel. From to , scores of young men walked from Palestinian into Israeli territory.

Inside Israeli restaurants, shopping malls and bus depots, they detonated homemade explosives to kill themselves, along with hundreds of Israeli women, children and the elderly. The wall was erected to stop the carnage and from all accounts did just that. Banksy was the most famous of artists who painted in Bethlehem.

One of his paintings showed an Israeli soldier checking the identification papers of a donkey. The message was obvious: The paranoia of a police state extends to the most innocent and innocuous of beings. Yet, many Palestinians were offended. They saw the painting as a putdown.

Proserpio is that rare filmmaker who seeks all sides to an issue. The film goes from exploring artistic messages of Palestinian liberation to the unchecked avarice of the art world. A taxi driver and body builder named Walid saw the artwork and had the idea to remove and sell it.

He notified Mike Cannavanti, a Greek entrepreneur in Bethlehem, who hired a contractor to chisel out the piece that contained the painting. He advertised it on Ebay. An art collector in Denmark bought the concrete slab work of art and then auctioned it in New York, Los Angeles, and London. The asking price was in the hundreds of thousands. The identification of Banksy is not known.

The same goes for many other graffiti artists. Most are wanted by the police for defacing public and private property. Their lack of identity puts them at a severe disadvantage when it comes to selling their art. As the film documents, there is a new movement in Italy to remove graffiti artwork and sell them to museums and collectors. We see a college professor in Bologna mix a liquid chemical to cover graffiti and peel it away after drying. The painting is then transferred to a canvas or makeshift wall inside an art gallery.

What was once outlawed street art now goes for sale with asking prices in the hundreds of thousand of dollars. Graffiti artists are excluded in the share of profits from the sale. They see no income from their work.

Such is their fate. The walls of buildings do not belong to them. They have no copyright. They have no say in what happens. What is especially intriguing is the Americanization of much of the world.

We see Palestinian youths expressing themselves through rap music. We see them dressed in long flannel jackets, donning shoulder length hair or straggly beards. They speak English in an American dialect. They look as though they just came from the campuses of Berkeley. Although Proserpio is rooting for graffiti artists, he is honest enough to show the flaws in this art movement.

Graffiti consists of contradiction. Street art is now a commodity. It is obtained by the rich to display in their living rooms. Even those who were the first to see graffiti as valid art, such as Paolo Buggiani, an avant-garde performance artist in Rome, have now absconded whole works from the streets for sale to private collectors.

It is to be seen by all who cherish art, politics and the way of the world, even if at times that world is headed in the wrong direction. Tell us about your family background? Where was your family from in Italy? My parents immigrated to Canada in from Nicastro, Calabria, Italy. I was born in Toronto, as was my sister. Then in , my dad decided to go back to Italy to live.

I was just out of college, and it was frowned upon for young Italian women to live on their own in those days, so I followed my parents and my sister to move to Italy. We lived in northern Italy, around the south part of Lake Garda, for 17 years. My sister and I both married local Italian men. I had 3 children, and my sister had two. All five of our children were born in Desenzano Del Garda, province of Brescia. When my father died in , we began to make plans to return to Canada.

In , both our families, along with my mother, returned to Canada, near Toronto. We were thrilled to be back! Unfortunately, my husband did not fit at all well in Canada, and we divorced in He immediately moved back to Italy. I remarried, this time to a police officer in central Florida and moved there to be with him. I still live there. I still have a very large extended family in Italy and Canada. My two sons live in Canada and as well as my sister and her husband and children.

My husband and I will be traveling to Italy this summer, and we are very excited to go! What inspired you to write this book? At one point in my life, I was like Giuliana: I had multiple online friends and most of them were men. I was also going through somewhat of a mid-life crisis which was hardened by my ex-husband wanting to return to Italy. However, as I wrote, the plot became quite spicy and convoluted, but at the same time, quite interesting. However, I would not call it autobiographical.

How are you alike or different than the main character Giuliana? I am very much like Giuliana. But as the book evolved, so did I, and Giuliana and I went our separate ways. Although Giuliana is Italian, she has been full immersed in the way of Canada or America. She works hard but also plays hard. What are your future novels or projects? Here is the link: Lorenzo, tell us about your background. Where is your family from in Italy? I am a first generation Italian American, born in Boston.

My family is from the Campania region of Italy — my father is from Avellino and my mother is from Benevento. I continue to visit Italy every year to see close friends or to discover something new. Your book describes the streets, piazzas, cafes and nightclubs of the Eternal City.

The book is your tribute to Rome. Tell us why you love this city so much. I had just left my job and moved to Italy to figure out my next chapter in life. I chose to be in Rome because I never really knew Rome. Well, of course I was familiar with the city — visiting the popular sights on many occasions — but I never really got to know her well.

So I wanted to incorporate the city into my story, as a tribute to my affection for its beauty. From the outset, the similarities between you, the author, and Alex are many. Is Alex your alter ego or your antithesis? Alex does have a lot of me in him, but he is not me. True, I can be and was a fool in love many times, but to the extent of Alex, I hope not.

I did give Alex a similar job and purpose for being in Rome, but his story is not my story. Your view is far different than the religious and classical sense we often apply to the city. Yes, and I thank you for pointing this out. Those of us who have travelled to Rome or read about Rome, or see it on TV, have been introduced to the classic sights — the Colosseum, the Vatican, La Fontana di Trevi. The book makes the reader see a different side to the city that is modern, thriving and continues to be influential.

Your character Alex leaves America for Italy. Perhaps a temporary adventure… but then again maybe not. We see a lot of young people today, like Alex, wishing to live and work overseas. Why the attraction to leave America for Italy or elsewhere? The attraction is the simple glamor of being in a place that is unlike our daily and oftentimes monotonous environment.

We seek an escape from a life of working, working, working; to hopefully live a decent life. In Italy, we see how life can be fulfilling. Italians go to work too of course, but the work does not dictate their lives.

They appreciate the quality of life — the food, the people, the surroundings, and the air. All of it makes Italy a desirable place to live.

This is your first novel. Do you have plans for a second novel? Or some other creative work? I am trying to write a second novel. As I try to work on novel 2, I also blog about my travels — focusing on culture, food and modern life.

But, I know I do want to complete that second book. Engage an Italian lawyer who speaks your language. A lawyer can also assist you with obtaining a building survey. The City of Worcester should not have another historical church go the same route and be demolished! The Romanesque style church, located today on Mulberry Street in Worcester, was built after when funds from the Italian community were raised for its construction. The parish has been a mainstay of Roman Catholic worship in Worcester.

Besides the church, the parish contains a recreation center, owns and maintains low income apartments and hosts a number of charitable and community events.

The local diocese seeks to demolish Our Lady of Mount Carmel with no church to take its place. Options still exist to save Our Lady of Mount Carmel and time is needed to address them. Buildings age and deteriorate, as time goes by, and it takes long term maintenance planning and budgeting to restore and stabilize them. We believe preserving this historical church is possible. If the Diocese allowed the church to be listed on the historical register, grants might be available for building upgrades and enhancements.

To learn more about Our Lady of Mount Carmel and the effort to save it, please log on to www. As we approach Memorial Day, our thoughts and memories surround those loved ones who have gone away from us. We especially remember those sons and daughters who left home to fight wars and to protect our liberty and freedom.

Many veterans have found peace by joining a veterans club or organization such as ours, the Italian American Veterans of Luzerne County, Post 1, in Northeast Pennsylvania.

I am a member of this fine organization and served as its commander. We were once a large group but recently we have seen a downward slop in membership and involvement. We still participate in many civic and military events. Our members are still prominent local leaders, judges, businessmen and entrepreneurs.

We still provide many improvements to the local Veterans Hospital located in Wilkes-Barre. Once, there were 1, Italian soldiers detained at this military facility. Many members are growing older and passing away with no new members joining our group. This issue is being faced by many other organizations all over the country. New tactics and methods are tried. Membership retention is our biggest problem.

Let us recall that if not for the sacrifices made by our veterans, our country, our freedom and liberty would not exist. Brandon Vallorani is the founder of Vallorani Estates and Vineyards. He recently hosted the first-ever Italian festival in Dallas, Georgia, where he lives today with his wife and seven children.

Brandon has been successful in business before and after earning an MBA in business management in from Thomas More College. His Italian blood, however, pushes him forward to get more out of life than just the bottom line. In the beginning of the book, Brandon recounts the real-life story of his great-uncle who traveled the countryside in Abruzzo. He came across a pack of wolves and a nearby tree was his only means of escape. He took refuge on its highest limb and with nothing else to do, he took out his mandolin and started playing music for the hungry wolves below.

Should we lock ourselves indoors and hide? We should pick up our mandolin and stride onward, bringing joy to our fellow travelers on earth. His great-grandfather Luigi, a veteran of the Italo-Turkish war, had immigrated to America only to return to Italy with his young son after his wife died. It took three tries for my great-grandfather to have a son who survived to carry on the Vallorani name.

He never stopped trying to do more. While he did not settle in the United States to pursue the American dream for himself, he achieved it for his family by planting the seeds of success. We reaped what Luigi sowed. It is the Italian way to success, where business and the good life are pursued with equal vigor.

An especially arid part of the Southern California desert is where Joe Chiriaco, a self-taught surveyor, envisioned a gas station and small cafe along a dirt road that became Highway 60 and then Interstate 10 in California.

Land was leased to Chiriaco from a sheep rancher in and what later became Chiriaco Summit was born. Aqueducts were built through there to transport water.

Patton becomes a regular customer. His troops train nearby to fight later in the African desert. The postwar years bring a new Interstate, expansion of our hydrocarbon society, changing culture and demographics of the s. All this happens as the Chiriaco family survive and strive to retain and build their family business.

Midway in the book, she considers the survival ethic of the Chiriacos: Contini Gordon gives us a wealth of historical detail in a narrative of a true American family who built something to last generations. That America, with its freedom and fair-minded spirit, allows anyone to make it if they work hard and play by the rules. The Chiriacos did just that and we are all grateful to Dr. Contini Gordon for bringing us their incredible story. The famous command of television directors - at least the first part of it - was often relegated to the ingenuity of Imero Fiorentino.

Son of Italian immigrants, Fiorentino was responsible for lighting television shows and live events in a career that spanned decades. He was a true pioneer in his field who once worked for ABC in the s when programs were broadcast live. A graduate of Carnegie-Mellon, Fiorentino created many of the lighting techniques that are commonplace today in television.

There was only one occasion when he lost his cool. I retrieved the damaged clipboard and made up my mind to keep it and to never use another…One corner is missing and it looks pretty shabby.

I love that clipboard. Thus, we welcome his new book, albeit on a bittersweet note. Fiorentino died in and his surviving wife Angela made it her mission to get the book published posthumously. Fiorentino retells a life lived to the highest levels of craftsmanship and professional acumen.

This book reminds us what it takes to be the best at what one does. Rather than being criminalized for trying to save refugees and migrants who have fled horrific detention conditions and systematic human rights abuses in Libya, NGOs saving lives at seashould be supported.

This appears to mark yet another step towards the outsourcing to the Libyan Coast Guard of the patrolling of the central Mediterranean. Their callous complicity with smugglers, criminals and torturers must end and the safety and the rights of refugees, asylum-seekers and migrants must be prioritized.

Refugees and migrants intercepted by the Libyan Coast Guard are disembarked in Libya and immediately transferred to detention centres where serious human rights violations, including arbitrary detention, torture and other ill-treatment, and exploitation have been widely documented.

European Governments should condition their support on ensuring that Libyan authorities bring an end to the policy of indefinite arbitrary detention of refugees, asylum-seekers and migrants, recognize UNHCR and allow it to exercise its full mandate in the country. European governments must also provide sufficient resettlement opportunities for the refugees stranded in Libya, establish a solid monitoring of the operations of the Libyan Coast Guard and most importantly ensure people rescued at sea are not taken back to Libya until the protection of their rights can be guaranteed.

For more information, please log on to www. Top, separate casting of "Behold" infant acquired by the Smithsonian American Art Museum for its permanent collection in Washington, D.

King for his moral courage and nobility of spirit overlooking the Kings' tomb. Add plaques at Columbus Circle expressing negative historical interpretations and commentary about Columbus by one group or another--"absolutely not! And add to such a negative supposition the removal or attachment of negative commentary to all statues in the United States glorifying the courageous and important civil rights, political freedoms, and military service contributions of Spanish Americans whose Queen, Isabella, of Spain financed the Columbus voyages to the New World.

When will Italian-American organizations and Italian-American media throughout the United States begin a very active, positive national campaign—in all media, Entertainment, News, and Advertising, and on all university and college campuses--to educate the American public, and the world, regarding Italian-American contributions to Civil Rights and human dignity—one of many historically significant examples, US Congressman, Peter Rodino, Jr.

King and President Johnson as the President signs the bill into Law. This would help to create a long-overdue, persistent and determined national united effort among Italian-Americans, Italian-American organizations and friends to overcome negative popular media portrayals and bigoted and misinformed mainly academic historical interpretations, perspectives, and protests regarding the contributions and history of Italian Americans to the United States—from to the present day.

It is an inspiring story of how I worked for over ten years with Mrs. King to create "Behold" and, independently, raise the casting, transportation, and installation costs of the monument.

I am currently seeking opportunities to present my story to Italian-American organizations. My hope is that by learning of my efforts to sculpt the "Behold" statue that Italian-Americans will be inspired further to show our rich history in supporting Civil Rights in America. You can find out more about Patrick Morelli by visiting his web site at www.

Morelli is currently looking to collaborate with a major architect to compete for a major public memorial to Dr. King to be sited in Boston. A deadline of February 28 is set by memorial organizers. Morelli by email at morelliart aol. Zoe Kosmidou with guests. Chef Luigi Diotauti and Dr.

Chefs Luigi Diotauti and Amy Riolo. A new kind of dining has come to Washington, in which each meal is spiced lightly with some history and culture. This blending of history and culture to highlight a memorable meal is the brainchild of Dr. For some, Zoe is a new face in the city, the recent founder and president of Ancient Dinners LLC; for others, she is a world-traveler who has for many years represented Greece at its embassy in Washington, D.

Ancient Dinners is for Zoe a blending of two loves, travel and food, and each Ancient Dinner highlights a different country around the world, gastronomically with family-style food, based on ancient recipes and created with original ingredients that are indigenous to the country.

A recent gathering was the third Ancient Dinner in a series that will continue next year as well. It was held at Aperto Restaurant in Washington, D. For the select diners, it was an educationally enriching experience, in which the ancient foods of Rome were introduced by two engaging personalities, Chefs Amy Riolo, author and television personality, and Luigi Diotaiuti, proprietor of Aperto and Al Tiramisu.

In the spirit of Virgil and Apicius, two famous Roman devotees of fine food, the charming duo of Luigi and Amy lifted the evening to Olympian heights, and filled it with their intimate knowledge.

Ancient Dinners began this fall to celebrate the traditions and the cultures around the world; its goal is to offer guests a cultural experience that goes beyond just food. Joe David is the author of numerous articles and six books, including Gourmet Getaways: The Brooklyn archdiocese got its way.

And the church, built by Italian immigrants over years ago, is now being demolished. One photo was taken by my son Samer last week. You can see how the church is boarded up. No doubt this is a demolition site. You can see how the roof has been removed and, thus, the interior. It is reminiscent of what happens to a building that had a bomb dropped on it.

The church was near a subway stop. I visited there in Part of Brownsville or Ocean Hill neighborhood in Brooklyn. Some refer to the area as East New York. This neighborhood was once a densely populated Italian neighborhood.

About years ago, the Italian immigrants wanted a Catholic church of their own. A house of worship that conveyed their language, customs and traditions. So, they volunteered their money and labor. Many of the men who lived there were carpenters and bricklayers and had experience in construction. They hired an Italian architect and built a beautiful church. You can see photos here from the web site devoted to Our Lady of Loreto, a web site maintained by Dominick Mondelli.

The interior was beautifully designed. There is a ceiling mural. A statue of San Innocenzo at Loreto. Here is a photo of Mass at the church in You can see that it was well-attended and made up of many devoted parishioners. In the s, Our Lady of Loreto was turned over to the Brooklyn archdiocese.

And 40 years later, the archdiocese wanted to tear it down. I published a feature article on the effort of Italian Americans who once lived in the neighborhood, who attended Mass there at Our Lady of Loreto, who were baptized there, had their first communion and confirmation there; and so they organized to save the church.

And all things were offered to the archdiocese including a creative development idea that preserved the church. This was back in and and the Brooklyn archdiocese agreed to retain the church in return for demolishing the rectory next door. And here is where one wonders about the intentions of Bishop Nicholas DiMarzio and other officials of the Brooklyn archdiocese. Did they intentionally allow Our Lady of Loreto to deteriorate so they could claim it as a danger to the community and apply for demolition?

This is what happened over the last 18 months. The fight to preserve it included petitions and donation drives. Now, you hear the news about how divided is America. Well, the activists involved came from all walks of life. In the end, however, the fight was lost. The legal appeals exhausted and the archdiocese had their way - and Our Lady of Loreto is being torn down. You can see photos here, taken by Todd Maisel, of The Daily News, how the the murals, statuary, the decorative elements - all being beaten and destroyed.

The time it took to build them, the craftsmanship, the artistry - all for nothing - destroyed. This is not the only church to face its extinction.

The situation began also around and I wanted both churches to survive. Instead, the opposite happened. An artist by the name of Jeffrey T. Peters and has now turned it into an art academy. This part of Brownsville is still knee deep in poverty and dispossession. Weinholds body was discovered when her roommate returned home that evening at approximately 8: The front door was locked, and there was no sign of a forced entry.

A knife belonging to the occupants of the apartment was found in the sink, displaying a bent tip and blood. Weinholds body was discovered in her bedroom, one leg up against the bedroom door and the other leg spread.

A blouse, trousers, and underpants were nearby, the trousers and underwear inside out as if just taken off. The body was clad only in a bra. There were at least 22 stab wounds, all in the upper chest area, with eight clustered in a pattern in the upper-right breast. Most were deep, and some had penetrated the breastbone and ribs, a circumstance that might cause a knife to bend.

The wounds had been administered with great force. Some of the wounds were defensive in nature. There was a bloodstain in a honeycomb or cross-hatch pattern on a doorjamb. Seminal fluid in Weinholds vagina was tested, and a genotype match with defendants blood sample was established to the degree that an expert testified that the match would occur in approximately 7 to 8 percent of the general population and a lower percentage of the White population.

Seminal fluid also was discovered on a jogging suit, a bedspread, and the carpet next to the body. Enzyme testing of the seminal fluid found on the carpet established that defendant, who was African-American, was within the 19 to 21 percent of that population that could have deposited the fluid. Further deoxyribonucleic acid DNA testing of the jogging suit and bedspread disclosed a match with defendants blood sample, a match that would occur in approximately one in , persons.

In April , defendant told his friends Robin and Tony Romo that he had gone on a date with a woman, and that when they arrived home he forced himself on her. Defendant related that when he was finished, the victim was weeping, and that he went back and did her again. David Holden was a coworker of defendants at Nacomm Communications, a cable company, beginning in the autumn of Early in , defendant mentioned a girl named Janene. Defendant said he worked out with her at an athletic club and went to her home for sexual encounters on one or two occasions.

Holden also testified defendant commented that the police never would capture the Clairemont murderer. This was the description commonly used for the perpetrator of the charged murders. Raymond Huntley, a jailhouse informant with many prior convictions for serious crimes and an escape charge pending , reported several conversations with defendant.

On one occasion defendant allegedly said he didnt have nothing for no White bitches. In another, defendant noted that in his job with the cable company, if he found a woman he wanted to hit, he could check the name on the mailbox to determine whether she lived alone.

The witness assumed that hit meant burglarize. The two men discussed assaulting women Huntley had been convicted of such crimes. Defendant reported that he enjoyed stalking women and once he selected one, he enjoyed playing with his victims, letting them believe they would escape, and then he would do them. Defendant also reported that he enjoyed watching blood drip from a knife onto the victims pubic area.

She observed defendant at a bus stop on her way to the store, but he was not there when she returned. As she neared her apartment building, she saw defendant coming toward her.

He stared at her as they crossed paths. She was at the door of her apartment, trying to insert the key into the lock, when she observed defendant at the bottom of the stairs.

Again, he was staring at her. He bent as if to tie his shoes, although they were tied already. She entered her apartment and locked the door. After defendants arrest, Cotalessa-Ritchie positively identified defendant at a video lineup as the person who had followed her. She also identified him at trial. Prior to her participation in the lineup, she once had seen defendants image briefly on television. Holly Tarr, who was 18 years of age and White, was a resident of Michigan.

In April , she visited her brother Richard at the Buena Vista Gardens apartment complex during her high school spring break. Her friend, Tammy Ho, accompanied her.

Ho observed a well-built African-American man working out in the adjacent athletic area. Approximately five or 10 minutes before noon, Tarr returned to the apartment alone, intending to shower. Ten minutes later, Ho approached the apartment and thought she heard a scream.

To Hos surprise, the door of the apartment was locked. Ho heard the telephone ring, but no one answered it. She knocked repeatedly and called out Tarrs name. A neighbor had called the apartment complex maintenance crew, and approximately 10 minutes later a maintenance worker, Richard Williams, arrived. The door was chained shut, and he had to break the chain to enter. Ho ran into the apartment and saw a man emerge from a bedroom and run toward her, his face covered with a white cloth.

He held a long knife up to his ear. The man wore a red T-shirt and had dark skin. Ho fell onto a couch as he ran past her through the front door. Ho then discovered Tarr gasping for breath. Tarrs opal ring was gone. Between noon and 1: When the witness looked in the direction of the scream, he saw an African-American man wearing a red shirt and black pants and running full speed across the alley, not far from the Tarr apartment. The witness observed the man disappear among the buildings.

While in pursuit, the witness encountered another maintenance worker, Juan Rivera Rojas, who described the direction of the mans flight. Rojas testified at trial that he saw an African-American man run by who was approximately 28 to 30 years of age, about five feet six inches tall, and wearing a red shirt and black pants. Rojas picked out defendant in a video lineup conducted in July , but testified at trial that he had not seen the mans face and could not identify him.

Tarrs body lay on the floor of one of the bedrooms in the apartment, her legs spread approximately 45 degrees. She wore a bra and underpants, and a towel was on her chest. There was no sign of forced entry other than the chain broken by the maintenance worker. Blood was on the stairwell leading to the apartment and in numerous places in the apartment.

A shoe print at the threshold matched the size and design of defendants Nike Air Jordan athletic shoes. An impression of a knife, in blood, was observed on the apartment doorjamb. Tarr died of a single stab wound, seven inches deep, that penetrated her heart. There was blood on her bra and on her underwear in the pubic area.

Defendant wore something white on his head. When Romo entered his own apartment in the Buena Vista Gardens complex, he learned from his wife, Robin Romo, that another murder had occurred.

Robert shortly thereafter observed defendant drive by again. Robert had seen defendant wear a red T-shirt prior to, but never subsequent to, the Tarr murder. When interviewed the day after the murder, defendant informed the police that he had been at the pool the prior day until noon, when he returned to his apartment and remained there until his departure for work at 1: He declined the polices request to go to the station for fingerprinting. A few days after the Tarr murder, Robin Romo mentioned to defendant that there had been another murder.

I was at the pool. I saw her leaving. When the police searched the home of defendants girlfriend, Charla Lewis, they discovered Tarrs opal ring. The ring was one of 63 that had been manufactured, none of them having been distributed for sale further west than Michigan or Wisconsin. Lewis testified that defendant gave her the ring in December On April 25, , Stephanie Squires observed defendant follow her to the pool in her apartment complex, the Torrey Pines Village apartments.

She recognized him, perhaps from her recent prior residence at the Buena Vista Gardens apartment complex. Squires left the pool area around noon and returned to her apartment to shower. A neighbor witnessed an African-American man walk up the stairs toward Squiress apartment. The neighbor telephoned the apartment manager, Jean Smith. Smith testified that the neighbor told her that she saw the man climb the stairs and try the door handle.

At trial, the neighbor testified that she merely had seen the man ascend the stairs and then sit down.

She testified she did not wish to be involved. On April 28, , Squiress roommate, Sarah Canfield, attired in her bathing suit, was in the apartment they shared. Between 3 and 3: She looked out, saw defendant standing at the door, and telephoned the apartment manager and the police. At the time of the video lineup in July , she was almost positive the man was defendant, and at trial she was certain of her identification. She asked her husband Glen to follow the man. Glen Smith testified he observed an African-American man driving an old, dirty or gray, two-door Chevrolet or Oldsmobile exit from the apartment complex parking lot.

The vehicle was noisy, as if it had a defective muffler. A few days later, Glen saw the same vehicle driven by the same man in the same parking lot. Glen relayed the license number to the police, who found that the vehicle was registered to defendant. Glen identified a photograph of defendants automobile as the vehicle he had seen on both occasions. On May 2, , between 1: After she walked back to the house, she climbed the stairs to the back door and found defendant standing in front of the door.

She asked his business, and replying that he had rented the home in the past, he walked away. Hughes-Webb entered the house and saw through the glass door that defendant was returning.

She attempted to secure the door, but defendant forced it open. He attacked Hughes-Webb, covering her mouth and subsequently grabbing her face and shoulders, and they struggled until she was able to push him over into a nightstand. She fled screaming, and he followed her outside and down two steps, then turned, and ran out the gate. He was due at work at 3: At a lineup and at trial, Hughes-Webb identified defendant as her attacker.

Elissa Keller, 38 years of age and White, lived with her year old daughter. Her home was close to defendants new residence at the Top of the Hill apartment complex, where he had moved in early May On May 21, , Keller failed to appear at her place of employment at 9: She did not appear at work later that day or answer the telephone.

Kellers daughter arrived at their home at approximately The deadbolt on the front door was not locked, which was unusual, and the chain was off the hook. She went to her bedroom, where she discovered her mothers body lying on the floor with a blanket covering her torso. Keller lay on the carpet with her legs out and slightly separated. She wore only a tank top, and her bloody underwear lay inside out and close to the body. There were nine tightly clustered, deep stab wounds in her chest, along with some defensive wounds.

There was blood smeared on her arms and legs. It appeared that she may have been punched in the face and choked. According to the physician who examined her body at approximately 3: The perpetrators point of entry apparently was a partially open window.

Shoe prints on the sill and on a nearby stereo could have been made by defendants Nike Air Jordan athletic shoes, and were similar to those found at the scene of Tarrs murder. A criminalist testified that gloves such as the ones used by defendant at his place of employment between January and August , and found in the trunk of his vehicle, left the bloody marks found on the bathroom counter.

The gloves bore a distinctive honeycomb or cross-hatch pattern. A pair of such gloves also was discovered in the closet of defendants girlfriend, Charla Lewis. Kellers gold nugget ring was missing, and defendant subsequently was seen wearing it.

The ring later was stolen from defendant but ultimately was traced to him during the murder investigation. Michael Bari was acquainted with defendant when both men resided at the Top of the Hill apartments. Defendant possessed a large quantity of jewelry and told Bari he had obtained it off the girls he had slept with. They would not be needing them anymore. Defendant demonstrated for Bari how to break into an apartment by using a Blockbuster video store card, remarking that as long as it doesnt have a deadbolt, I can get into the apartment.

Another occupant of the Top of the Hill apartments during the period defendant resided there, John Rollins, also was acquainted with defendant.

Rollins brought up the subject of Kellers murder and heard defendant claim responsibility for that murder, but the remark was made in the course of preparing for a party, and everyone present interpreted it as a joke. Anna McComber resided in the Top of the Hill apartment complex, as did defendant. On August 2, , the three young women sunbathed by the apartment complex pool, went shopping, and sunbathed again. The cash deposit was far greater than any he previously had made in the five months he had had the account.

She listed defendant as a member. The membership was cancelled 10 days later. She was wearing a full body glove and a bathing suit. She was White, 42 years of age, and very fit. Her husband left their home at approximately 8: Their year-old daughter Amber, who was still asleep, was a member of the same fitness center.

One neighbor heard Amber call out as if afraid and also heard a male voice, but the neighbor believed nothing serious was occurring. This witness believed Pamela Clarks automobile had left the residence earlier in the morning but had returned by Pamela, who was a massage therapist, did not appear at work for her No one answered the telephone at the Clarks home. A colleague of Pamela Clarks discovered her body in the entryway of the home. She had suffered 11 deep, clustered stab wounds to the upper left chest in an area measuring four and one-half by three and one-half inches.

There was evidence indicating she had been dragged to that location. A knife that could have inflicted the wounds lay near her head. Amber Clarks body lay on the floor, partly in a hallway and partly in a bedroom. She was clothed, but her garments had been pulled down to expose her breasts. Her legs were spread somewhat apart. Like her mother, she had suffered 11 deep, closely clustered stab wounds to her upper chest in an area measuring three by three and one-quarter inches.

Blood was smeared on her body. A knife blade lay on the floor in the bathroom. Pamela Clarks purse was found on her bed but, uncharacteristically, contained no money.

Her wedding ring was missing. Possible points of entry included a partially opened dining room window from which a screen had been removed, and a living room sliding glass door.

The door handle bore marks of silica and other material consistent with the gypsum that defendant used in his employment. Shoe prints outside led back and forth under the dining room window. Defendants Eastland-brand shoes matched shoe prints found under the window and in the dining room.

Defendant had called in sick to his employer on the day of the Clark murders. Two persons who resided with defendant subsequent to these murders testified that he had been in possession of Pamela Clarks wedding ring. Ernest Tuua, a coworker of defendants, testified that defendant told him during the summer of that he was dating a massage therapist and that he was doing the massage therapist and her daughter, a comment that Tuua took to refer to sexual relations.

Defendant commented that the massage therapist was an older White woman with a good body. In September , having changed jobs, defendant was working at the Nacomm Cable Television Company. He installed underground cable. He commented to his foreman that he was going to do a mother and a daughter, a comment the foreman took to refer to sexual relations. Defendant offered to sell jewelry to the foreman. Another coworker reported that in September , defendant said he was dating a woman and her daughter, adding that the mother, aged 40, had a youthful appearance and the daughter, aged 17 or 18, was attractive.

Defendant offered to sell the witness jewelry. In the autumn of , defendant resided at the Top of the Hill apartment complex with Shirley Beasley a male and Shirleys younger brother Moheshea Charla Lewis having moved out.

According to Moheshea, Shirley told him that defendant and Shirley, in the course of burglarizing the apartment of an older couple who resided at the Top of the Hill complex, had stolen some beer.

Defendant told Moheshea he could break into apartments at the nearby Trojan apartment building, because the doors lacked deadbolts. Defendant committed three burglaries with Moheshea, who was 16 years of age at the time.

In committing these burglaries, defendant put socks on his hands as he approached the front door of the targeted home and then opened the door using a plastic card. Defendant told Moheshea that he knew of a residence containing jewelry and a safe, and proposed to burglarize it.

Defendant stated that he had been inside the home while the female occupant slept, and that if she had awakened, he would have cut her throat. Defendant proposed to return to burglarize this residence. Moheshea testified that he and defendant thereafter broke into a Top of the Hill apartment and stole foreign currency.

Defendant also told Moheshea that he surveilled the homes of women he had met at gyms. Michelle Tait resided at the Collwood Pines apartments.

On October 6, , she sunbathed at the apartment pool beginning in the late morning. She returned to her apartment briefly around 2: When she returned at 3: Tait had had an encounter with defendant during the month preceding the burglary. She was walking up the stairs to her apartment when defendant asked repeatedly whether he could help her carry her groceries.

He was pushy and aggressive. They made eye contact for almost a minute. He stared her down on that occasion, and also at the preliminary examination. Shirley Beasley testified that while he resided with defendant at the Top of the Hill apartment complex, they burglarized an apartment at the Collwood Pines apartment complex.

Defendant asked Beasley whether he wanted a television and a VCR. Pointing to a woman lying by the Collwood Pines apartment complexs pool, defendant stated it was her apartment they would burglarize. Defendant put socks on his hands and entered the apartment door using a credit card.

Defendant went to the kitchen and took a knife, stating that if the occupant returned, Beasley should move out of the way and defendant would handle it. They took the television and the VCR. Both were sold or given away but were traced to defendant. Defendant told Beasley he had been watching a home he knew contained a safe, intending to burglarize it. Defendant also told Beasley he had stolen foreign currency during a burglary and knew where to exchange it.

Beasley testified that defendant kept a large quantity of womens jewelry in the apartment they shared. Michael Gromme resided in the Top of the Hill apartment complex and was acquainted with defendant.

Gromme complained about the noisy muffler on defendants automobile. On October 15, , when Gromme returned from work at approximately 5: He discussed the burglary with defendant and defendants roommate shortly after discovering the loss.

Defendants roommate commiserated, claiming that he and defendant had suffered a recent burglary. Grommes apartment was located one floor above defendants. Shirley Beasley testified that he and defendant burglarized the home of an older couple who lived in the Top of the Hill apartment complex and stole all of their liquor to have it for a party.

Defendant suggested committing the burglary, noting that the apartment was right upstairs from his apartment. During the burglary, defendant took a knife from the kitchen and walked around the apartment. Beasley testified that shortly after the burglary he and defendant commiserated with the occupants of the burglarized apartment, falsely claiming to have suffered a recent burglary themselves.

On November 18, , Bruno Gherardis home in Encinitas was burglarized. The screen of his open bedroom window had been cut, and the sliding door to his bedroom was open. His camcorder and its accessory bag were missing, along with a knife from a butcher block in the kitchen. The camcorder was traced to defendant. Approximately 20 minutes later, she heard a soft knocking at the door and saw a man she identified at trial as defendant standing there. She opened the door, and defendant asked for a person named Terry, but no one by that name resided there.

Her neighbor, Earline Schooner, stood behind defendant, and when she challenged him brusquely, he walked away. Schooner earlier had seen defendant examining nearby backyards.

After ten minutes, she saw him enter a side yard and approach Vans front door. Schooner, having seen defendant exit from a vehicle, provided the police with the vehicle license number. The automobile was registered to defendant, and he was stopped by the police at 2: The vehicle was a gray Chevrolet Cavalier. The police cited defendant for his loud muffler. At approximately 11 a. She heard someone knocking at the front door and then heard dogs barking. She saw the doorknob moving.

She held the doorknob and looked out, observing an African-American man who continued for a moment to try to open the door. He departed and went toward Melinda Pinkertons residence, two doors away. When Pinkerton returned home at approximately 2: The sliding door leading to her backyard was open. Her camera was missing, and her lingerie had been moved. Six rings and a gold chain were missing.

Defendant pawned two of Pinkertons rings that same afternoon, using the name Rodney Higgs. After defendants arrest, when his automobile was searched, the police found Pinkertons camera and a wallet containing identification belonging to Rodney Higgs. Defendant used false identification and signed a false name when he pawned Melinda Pinkertons property.

Once inside her home, she heard the doorknob on the front door jiggling. Through the peephole she witnessed defendant standing with something in his hands, not knocking or ringing the doorbell. As she went to telephone her husband, she observed defendant approaching the back door. She proceeded to the garage and drove away. When a few months later she saw defendants photograph in the newspaper, she telephoned the police to report the incident.

She identified defendant at a video lineup and at trial. Approximately one month after the attempted burglary of the Van residence count 19 , Patricia Vans home was burglarized. On January 21, , Vans husband discovered that the sliding door to the patio had been damaged with a tool of some kind. On January 23, , at approximately 9: Once inside her home, she discovered that the patio door was open; a window screen was propped up in the kitchen, and the kitchen window was broken.

The residence had been ransacked. A butcher knife had been placed on the kitchen counter. Jewelry had been stolen, and that same afternoon defendant drove his acquaintance Mary Ann Knight to a pawnshop where she pawned an earring similar to one stolen from Van. On January 24, , an African-American man driving a gray vehicle with a loud muffler followed Angela Yates, then 19 years of age, as she drove home from the Miramar Road Family Fitness Center.

She became aware that she was being followed, and attempted to evade her pursuer. She arrived home, and while she showered, her mother, Renata, observed a shadow moving in the backyard. Upon inspecting, Renata discovered defendant, whom she later positively identified. When he moved toward a sliding door, Renata screamed to her daughter to call the police and to grab the gun.

Their dog ran outside, and defendant ran away. Neighbors witnessed an African-American man jump over the Yatess fence and run to his vehicle. He appeared agitated as he attempted to enter the vehicle, and drove off rapidly.

The muffler of the vehicle was noisy. Louis Depamphillis returned to his home on Nobel Drive close to midnight on February 1, He had left his screened front window ajar. When he returned, the screen had been removed. His camera bag and jewelry boxes had been moved.

When he went to a friends apartment to telephone the police, he noticed an African-American man driving away in an older model bluish-gray vehicle with a loud muffler, possibly matching the photograph of defendants automobile. When the police responded to Depamphilliss call, they noticed an adjacent apartment had an open front window from which the screen had been removed. Police left a note for the occupant stating the apartment had been burglarized. When he eventually was arrested, defendant was wearing a ring that had been stolen from Depamphilliss residence during the burglary.

The screen to a front window had been removed, and the apartment had been ransacked. Her jewelry and lingerie drawers were open, and lingerie was draped on the drawers. Her emerald ring and a gold chain had been stolen. Kinney believed she had been followed home from the Family Fitness Center on Miramar Road approximately one month prior to the burglary.

She undressed for a shower, then heard the knob on the front door rattling. She looked out and saw an African-American man leaning against the door with his hands in the area of the doorknob. She dressed and exited from her apartment through a sliding glass door and proceeded to the back of the apartment complex. She screamed for help. Her neighbor, Jeffrey Pich, responded. When Venvertloh and Pich walked to the front of her apartment, they observed the man still standing at the door, bent over and working at the door with some object.

When challenged, the man claimed he was looking for his fianc or a female friend whom he claimed to have seen entering Venvertlohs home. He walked away calling out a womans name. Pich walked down the street looking for the would-be intruder and soon observed the man in question driving away in a noisy vehicle at a high rate of speed. Geralyn Peters Venvertlohs then-fianc, Mark Venvertloh, arrived home and also witnessed an African-American man enter an older silver-colored vehicle and drive away noisily at a high rate of speed.

Having examined the intruder closely on that occasion, Pich identified defendant as the man he had seen on the front step of his neighbors residence. The next day, Geralyn Venvertloh, who was employed at the same location as Charla Lewis, witnessed a man drop off Lewis at work.

The man resembled defendant and drove an older model vehicle that had a loud muffler. Pich identified defendant in a photo lineup that same day. One month later Pich identified a photograph of defendants automobile, and later confirmed that the vehicle sounded like the one he had witnessed when defendant fled from Venvertlohs apartment. A police officer took statements from Geralyn Peters Venvertloh, Pich, and Mark Venvertloh, and proceeded to the Family Fitness Center on Miramar Road with a description of the vehicle and the suspect.

The officer asked fitness center employees to inform the police in the event they witnessed either the man or the vehicle in the vicinity of the establishment. The employee observed the vehicle parked 30 feet from her office window and watched as the driver moved to the passenger side of the vehicle and slumped down. She was able to observe part of the vehicle license number, which she relayed to the police.

Law enforcement officers arrived 15 minutes later and confronted defendant, the occupant of the vehicle. Defendant informed the officers that he was waiting for his girlfriend, Cindy. A person named Cindy was present at the fitness center at the time, and although she was acquainted with defendant, she was not his girlfriend and had no plan to meet him that day. The officers placed defendant under arrest. A search of defendants vehicle uncovered a pair of black leather gloves in the center console and a pair of wool gloves on the drivers seat.

Under the drivers seat was a knife with an eight-inch blade and a five-inch handle. On the right front floorboard was a folding knife with a two-and-one-half-inch blade and a four-inch handle. Under the front seat were a steak knife and a small folding pocket knife. Other employees of the fitness center had observed defendants vehicle in the centers parking lot on multiple occasions. They had seen a person who may have been defendant seated in the vehicle, slumped in the passenger seat.

Defendant was questioned and released after providing the police with a blood sample. Subsequently, on February 23, , an undercover police officer witnessed defendant drive into the Miramar Road Family Fitness Center parking lot and, slowing as he observed a marked police vehicle parked in the lot, exit the centers parking lot and drive away at a high rate of speed. The muffler of his vehicle made a loud sound. As discussed at greater length post , FBI Special Agent Larry Ankrom testified that the six murders bore common marks that led him to believe they all were committed by the same person.

Two police officers testified that defendants automobile would not start without manual manipulation under the hood, and would function only if a metal object such as a screwdriver were placed under the hood to make an electrical connection. Officers observed defendant start the vehicle in this manner while they had him under surveillance. Defendant produced evidence indicating that jewelry traced to the burglaries of the DePamphilis and Kinney residences and the murder of Keller was not custom-made but was available commercially.

Charla Lewis testified that during the time she resided with defendant, he never arrived home in an agitated state or stained by blood. Defendant introduced evidence establishing that many companies other than his employer distributed to their employees gloves with the distinctive honeycomb or cross-hatch pattern that may have been used during the murders.

Marsha Nelson, who was a neighbor of murder victim Janene Weinhold and observed defendant seated on the steps leading to Weinholds apartment on the day of the murder, had told a police interviewer immediately after the crime was discovered that the man she saw on the steps had his head in his hands the entire time she looked at him and that she was unable to see his face. Nelson had circled defendants number at the live lineup, then crossed it out, explaining that too much time had elapsed since the crime.

Karyl Oldenburg count 22 told the police at the time of the attempted burglary of her home that she might not be able to identify the perpetrator in a lineup. Oldenburgs identification of defendant was made after she had seen his picture in the newspaper, and although she identified defendant in a video lineup and at trial, she testified that unlike defendant, the man she saw at her front door did not have facial hair.

Dorothy Curtiss, the apartment manager of the complex where Schultz was murdered, failed to make an identification at the live lineup even though she identified defendant at trial. Rodney Dunn, a maintenance worker at the apartment complex, cast doubt on Curtisss testimony that it was defendant who approached her seeking assistance on the day of Schultzs murder.

On the day Schultz was murdered, Dunn, who was familiar with defendants appearance, was approached before noon by an African-American man who was not defendant. The man asked for a screwdriver because he had locked himself out of his car.

The witness assisted the man in unlocking a vehicle that was not defendants. Richard Williams, the maintenance worker who entered murder victim Tarrs apartment with witness Ho to render assistance, had observed the perpetrator running toward him, but described that individual as probably Hispanic and selected someone other than defendant at the lineup. A witness, Carol Dhillon, testified she had observed an encounter at the Buena Vista Gardens apartment complex similar to the incidents attributed to defendant, but the perpetrator was not defendant.

On a morning in mid-March , her year-old daughter was taking a shower when Dhillon observed an African-American man looking up at her apartment. Ten or 15 minutes later, when she retrieved the newspaper from her front step, the man pushed open the front door and said he was looking for his cousin.

Dhillon closed the door. The visitor was not defendant. She saw the visitor again approximately two hours later, sitting on or standing by a parked older model automobile. Shirley Beasley, who on direct examination had testified that he had burglarized homes with defendant and had attributed incriminating statements to defendant, was flown to San Diego, where the police department paid for his lodging while he underwent interrogation.

Beasley thereafter was arrested for robbery. He was in custody but had not yet been sentenced when he testified for the prosecution at defendants preliminary examination. The prosecutions investigator testified on Beasleys behalf at his sentencing, explaining that Beasley had been of assistance in the present case. Beasley was sentenced to four years in prison, a relatively light sentence. He was given immunity from prosecution for the burglaries he committed with defendant and for any other crimes he admitted in the course of his interrogation in the present case.

One of Beasleys comments indicated he was interested in receiving the reward offered for capture of the so-called Clairemont killer. Christine Fagan testified defendant had lunch with her on May 2, , until approximately 2: They met at a location that would have made it extremely difficult for defendant to arrive at the beach by the time of the attack. Fagan observed defendant wearing a gold nugget ring similar to the one the prosecution claimed had been stolen during the Keller murder, but Fagans meeting with defendant occurred prior to that murder.

Under cross-examination by the People, Fagan added that defendant had stared intently at her during their lunch and aggressively demanded that she go somewhere with him, frightening her. Raymond Huntley, the jailhouse informant, was impeached. He had been convicted of multiple burglaries, robberies, and rapes, had escaped from a Florida prison, was facing a sentence of at least 20 years, and was a prison escapee at large in San Diego when he was arrested.

He shared a cell only briefly with defendant, later being returned to Florida to complete his prison term. Approximately four months after his conversation with defendant, Huntley contacted the prosecution from Florida to offer information. In exchange for his testimony against defendant, he received various benefits, including a transfer from a Florida prison to one in California and a potential early release date.

Defendant also presented the testimony of an expert in the phenomenon of eyewitness identification. She explained the many flaws in such identification and the factors undermining accuracy, including fear, the lapse of time, the reinforcement of opinion that occurs during multiple proceedings, and the effect of a threat with a weapon on the accuracy of observation. She explained that a persons confidence in his or her identification is not indicative of the reliability of the identification.

In rebuttal, the prosecution presented evidence establishing that the murders occurring at the Buena Vista Gardens apartment complex ceased after defendant moved out in the first week of May The jury found defendant guilty of the charged offenses and found true the knife-use and special circumstance allegations. The object was hidden between the mattresses on defendants bed.

The prosecution presented evidence of an additional jailhouse incident involving defendant. Deputy Samuel Sheppard testified that on November 22, , when he arrived to conduct inmates from a recreation area to their cells, defendant told the deputy that he would kick [his] sweet ass, directing threatening gestures at the deputy while uttering these words.

Defendant continued to taunt or threaten the deputy, who grabbed defendant and pushed his face against the wall. Defendant struck Sheppard in the ribs with his elbow and tried to trip him. Sheppard forced defendant to the ground. Other deputy sheriffs assisted in subduing defendant. The prosecution also presented the testimony of several family members of the murder victims.

The parents of murder victims Schultz, Weinhold, and Tarr testified, as did Kellers daughter. They described the victims and the impact of the murders upon the families. The prosecution played an approximately minute videotape of a television interview with Tarr that had been prepared by a local television station in her hometown a few months prior to her murder. The program marked the accomplishments of certain successful local high school students.

In the interview, Tarr described her interests and activities, as well as her plans for college and for a potential career as an actress. The defense presented the testimony of various members of defendants family and of one of his friends. These witnesses described defendants childhood, the circumstance that when he was two years of age his father was convicted of murder and subsequently served 11 years in prison, and defendants formative years spent in a rundown, crime-ridden housing project in Alabama.

Defendant was extremely short in stature as a child. These witnesses offered evidence of defendants good character, including his close relationship with his paternal grandmother and faithful visits to her, his visits to his father in prison, his industriousness, his protective attitude toward relatives, his compassion, and his generosity.

Various relatives and a former girlfriend expressed their love for defendant and asked the jury to spare his life. A sociologist described the negative attributes of the housing project where defendant resided as a child, and offered the opinion that circumstances such as family violence, inadequate housing conditions, poor education, drug and alcohol abuse, and gang activity were harmful to a childs development.

A high school counselor described defendants development into a responsible person, and a pastor testified concerning defendants church activities. A former employee of the Department of Corrections described the prison conditions experienced by persons sentenced to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole.

The testimony of a fellow inmate suggested that defendant had not been the instigator of the conflict with Deputy Sheppard. Claims Affecting the Guilt Phase of the Trial.

Defendant contends extensive pretrial publicity required a change of venue. The charged offenses occurred between January and February Defendant was apprehended in March The preliminary examination commenced on February 24, Defendant filed a motion for change of venue on September 14, In support of his motion for change of venue, the defense proffered evidence of the more than newspaper articles that had appeared concerning the crimes, the criminal investigation, defendants eventual arrest in Alabama and extradition, and the preliminary examination.

There was evidence suggesting that television coverage was similar in extent, as the parties stipulated. It also was stipulated that one television station used defendants image in quick cuts along with the images of Robert Alton Harris and Craig Peyer, persons who had been convicted of murder in San Diego County.

Defendants image was on the screen for under a second and a half. Newspaper articles recounted the growing fear among residents of the neighborhoods where the crimes occurred; articles noted the apparent connection among the crimes, and the eventual designation of the murders as serial killings; articles recounted the increasing police resources devoted to the investigation, which eventually was the most extensive in San Diego County history; articles recounted the disproportionate impact of the investigation upon African-American men in the affected neighborhoods, and assertedly prejudicial articles predicted another attack and compared the crimes to those committed by the notorious Jack the Ripper.

Defendant also proffered articles recounting his arrest in Alabama and the relief that ensued among residents of San Diego, especially in neighborhoods in which the murders had occurred; his efforts to resist extradition from Alabama; and providing negative information concerning his family, including his fathers conviction of murder. In addition, he presented articles in which persons surmised they had experienced close brushes with defendant and might have been his next victim.

News articles noted that defendant was suspected of having committed two additional unsolved murders and mentioned his Navy court-martial for theft. An article described defendants eviction from the Top of the Hill apartment complex for participating in a fight. The crimes were featured on the television program Americas Most Wanted.

Defendant also presented evidence indicating that the news media had reported on damaging evidence that was uncovered during the investigation and also at the preliminary examination, including testimony by identification witnesses, statements to the press, and preliminary examination testimony attributing incriminating statements to defendant, lab results claiming a DNA match between samples taken from defendant and evidence found at the scene of the Weinhold murder, and the circumstance that defendants girlfriend possessed jewelry stolen from the victims.

The defense also presented the testimony of Paul Strand, an expert who conducted a public opinion survey in February , prior to the preliminary examination. According to Strand, approximately 74 percent of the persons surveyed were aware of the case despite the circumstance that only two related news items had appeared during the previous six months. Of those aware of the case, Strand reported that 25 percent were predisposed to find defendant guilty.

Strand conducted another survey in September Seventy-seven percent of the respondents were aware of the case and, of that group, 24 percent were predisposed to find defendant guilty. There had been a burst of publicity around the time of the preliminary examination in February and March of , but very few news items appeared between April and mid-September of The trial court acknowledged that the crimes had been serious and the publicity intense.

The court noted that neither the victims nor the defendant had been prominent or notorious other than in connection with the charged crimes. To the extent defendant was an outsider, the court observed that San Diego is a Navy town, where many individuals might be considered outsiders.

The court observed that Tarr, one of the murder victims, also was an out-of-town visitor, and commented that other victims lacked long-standing ties to the community. The court also commented that sensational news coverage concerning crime permeates our culture in general, and surmised that citizens become inured to such coverage or accord it the same weight as entertainment. Harris 28 Cal. Moreover, the investigation continued for a protracted period, during which two persons other than defendant were arrested, and residents appeared uncertain whether defendant actually was the culprit.

Turning to the public opinion surveys, the court commented upon the size and diversity of the countys population and upon the circumstance that the surveys demonstrated that a low percentage of potential jurors had formed an opinion concerning defendants guilt. Under these circumstances, the court could not conclude it was reasonably likely that counsel and the court would be unable to empanel a fair jury. The court anticipated that were going to see a lot of people on the panel who are familiar with the case, but also anticipated that even persons who casually stated a belief in a defendants guilt to a poll taker would find that, as jurors, the seriousness of the trial would cause them to set aside their assumptions and judge the case based upon the evidence presented in court.

Further, the court reminded counsel that its going to be one of our tasks in jury selection to talk to people whove seen the evidence and ask whether theyve come to a conclusion.

And whatever they say, whether its yes or no, thats obviously not going to be conclusive. Defendant moved for reconsideration, supplying previously unavailable videotapes of television news coverage of the crimes. According to defendants pleadings, San Diegos channel 39 repeatedly combined defendants image with the images of three convicted murderers from San Diego and various other newsworthy images as part of the brief spots promoting one of its news programs.

According to defendant, this advertisement appeared times over a month period ending approximately six months prior to the present trial.

Speaking in connection with his motion for reconsideration, defense counsel stated that he expected to renew the motion for change of venue once we commence jury selection and once the court really sees the nature of publicity, how it has affected people.

Counsel did not renew the motion, however. The case was reassigned to another judge for trial. That judge denied the motion for reconsideration, adopting the analysis and conclusion of the court that had heard the original motion.

State law provides that a change of venue must be granted when the defendant demonstrates a reasonable likelihood that a fair trial cannot be held in the county. Vieira 35 Cal. The factors to be considered are the nature and gravity of the offense, the nature and extent of the news coverage, the size of the community, the status of the defendant in the community, and the popularity and prominence of the victim.

On appeal, we conduct de novo review of the evidence presented to the superior court to determine whether the court should have granted a change of venue. Jenkins 22 Cal. This factor is not dispositive.

Melanie C: Singer: Sporty Spice: JanC-Murder: Rapper: Rapper, serving life for murder: MarJoe C. Rapper: Tiny rapping sidekick of Kid Rock. PRIMO, the largest independent national magazine for and about Italian Americans, provides quality journalism on Italian American history, heritage, and achievements. PRIMO discusses topics of importance to Italian Americans with articles on Italian art, language, travel, food and wine. As a very young child, Bill was my hero & protector at family gatherings. Much later in life, I brought my 3 month old son to meet the Daly’s, Bill had Mikey in his arms and neither wanted to let Bill and I wore identical eyeglass frames, hairstyle and moustaches!